Jobs in a project
A job is a way of running assets, such as Data Refinery flows or notebooks in a project in Watson Studio.
From the Jobs tab of your project, you can:
- See the list of the jobs in your project
- View the details of each job. You can change the schedule settings of a job and pick a different environment definition.
- Monitor job runs
- Create jobs
- Delete jobs
You can also create jobs when working directly on an asset in a tool, for example on a data flow in Data Refinery or a notebook in the notebook editor. The jobs that you create in these tools are listed on the Jobs tab.
- Creating jobs from the Jobs tab
- Creating jobs in Data Refinery
- Creating jobs in the notebook editor
- Saving changes to jobs
- Viewing jobs in a project
Creating jobs from the Jobs tab
To create a job:
- From your project, click the Jobs tab and then click New job.
- Enter a job name and description.
- Select the asset you want to run, for example a Data Refinery flow or a notebook.If you select a notebook, choose a version. You must save at least one version of the notebook to be able to select it. The most recently saved version of the notebook is used by default.
- Select the environment runtime for your job. See Environments.
- Optional: Select to schedule the job. Select the start date for this schedule. Click the calender to select a date. Specify the start time, the time zone, and the repeat settings which depend on the frequency you selected.
- Create the job. You can create and run the job immediately, for example if you didn’t specify a schedule, or you can create the job and run it later, either manually or as specified in the schedule. To run a job manually, see Viewing jobs in a project.
Creating jobs in Data Refinery
You can create a job to run a Data Refinery flow directly in Data Refinery.
- After you have created a data flow, click from the Data Refinery toolbar and select Save and create a job.
- Enter a name and description and select the environment runtime to use. See Data Refinery environments.
- Optional: Add a one-time or repeating schedule for that data flow.
- Create the job and run it immediately, or create the job and run it later.
You can track the status of a job’s run and view the logs on the job’s run description page. See Viewing jobs in a project
Creating jobs in the notebook editor
You can create a job to run a notebook directly from the notebook editor by clicking from the notebook’s menu bar. You can include a one-time or repeating schedule for the notebook run. See Create a notebook scheduling job.
Saving changes to jobs
While you are working on a Data Refinery flow or a notebook, you can save the changes you made and view the jobs associated with the Data Refinery flow or a notebook.
- Click from the toolbar in Data Refinery or in the notebook and select Save and view jobs. This lists the jobs that exist for the flow.
- Click View to see the details of a selected job.
Viewing jobs in a project
You can view all of the jobs that exist for your project from the project’s Jobs page. You can delete a job from this page.
To view the details of a specific job, click the job. From the job’s details page, you can:
- View the runs for that job and the status of each run. If a run failed, you can select the run and view the log tail or download the entire log file to help you troubleshoot the run.
- Edit schedule settings or pick another environment definition.
- Run the job manually by clicking the run icon from the job action bar.