Adding a connection asset to a catalog
A connection asset contains the information necessary to create a connection to a data source.
You can add connection assets to these data sources to a catalog. You must have Editor or Admin permissions on a catalog to add a connection asset.
Connection assets are automatically added when you publish data assets that require connections from a project to a catalog.
To add a connection asset:
- Click Add to catalog > Connection.
- Choose a data source.
- Enter the connection information required for your data source. Typically, you need to provide information like the host, port number, user name, and password.
- For on-premises databases, choose a Secure Gateway service or configure a new Secure Gateway service.
- If there’s a Discover data assets option for the data source, you can add all tables from the connection as data assets to a project. Select Discover data assets and choose a project. Then you can evaluate and refine the tables before you publish them to the catalog. See Discovering data assets from a connection.
- Click Create.
After the connection asset appears on the Browse page, click its name to view and update it.
If you edit a connection asset and mark it as private, it has the following effects:
- Users who are not members of the connection asset can view the data previews of data assets that require the connection, but they can’t use those data assets.
- Only members of the connection asset can add the data assets that require the connection to a project.