Adding a file to a catalog
You must have Editor or Admin role in a catalog to add a data asset from a file.
- You can’t add executable files to a catalog. All other types files that you add to a catalog are not checked for malicious code. You must ensure that your files do not contain malware or other types of malicious software that other collaborators might download.
You can add any type of file, but only some types of files are profiled.
When you add a local file to a catalog, this is what happens:
- A data asset that contains information about the file is created in the catalog.
- The file is copied to the IBM Cloud Object Storage bucket that is associated with the catalog.
- The asset includes a connection to IBM Cloud Object Storage. When you add the asset to a project, the connection is added as well.
To add a local file to a catalog:
- Click Add to catalog > Local file.
- Browse for the file or drag it onto the drop area.
- Specify the asset properties.
- Click Add. The asset is added to the catalog and the file starts loading into the catalog’s storage. Do not leave the catalog before the file finishes loading.
After the data asset appears on the Browse page, click its name to view and update it. If policies are enforced for the catalog, the asset preview is unavailable until the asset is evaluated by policies.