To access your data in Presto, create a connection asset for it.
Presto is a fast and reliable SQL engine for Data Analytics and the Open Lakehouse.
- Version 0.279 and earlier
Create a connection to Presto
To create the connection asset, you need these connection details:
- Hostname or IP address
- Password (required if you connect to Presto with SSL enabled)
- SSL certificate (if required by the Presto server)
Connecting to Presto within IBM watsonx.data
You can use the Presto connection to connect to multiple types of Presto, including the Presto engine within an instance of watsonx.data. Alternatively, you can use the IBM watsonx.data connection.
To connect to a Presto server within watsonx.data on IBM Cloud, use these connection details:
- Password (for SSL-enabled, which is the default): An IBM Cloud API key. For more information, see Connecting to Presto server.
To connect to a Presto server within watsonx.data on Cloud Pak for Data or stand-alone watsonx.data, use the username and password that you use for the watsonx.data console.
Choose the method for creating a connection based on where you are in the platform
In a project
Click Assets > New asset > Data access tools > Connection. See Adding a connection to a project.
In a catalog
Click Add to catalog > Connection. See Adding a connection asset to a catalog.
In a deployment space
Click Add to space > Connection. See Adding connections to a deployment space.
- In the Platform assets catalog
- Click New connection. See Adding platform connections.
Next step: Add data assets from the connection
Where you can use this connection
You can use the Presto connection in the following workspaces and tools:
- Data Refinery (Watson Studio or IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- DataStage (DataStage service). See Connecting to a data source in DataStage.
- Metadata import (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- SPSS Modeler (Watson Studio)
Platform assets catalog
Other catalogs (IBM Knowledge Catalog)Note:
Preview, profile, and masking do not work for this connection in IBM Knowledge Catalog.
To set up Presto, see Presto installation.
You can use this connection only for source data. You cannot write to data or export data with this connection.
The Presto connection does not support the Apache Cassandra Time data type.
Running SQL statements
To ensure that your SQL statements run correctly, refer to the SQL Statement Syntax for the correct syntax.
Related connection: IBM watsonx.data connection
Parent topic: Supported connections