IBM Planning Analytics connection
To access your data in Planning Analytics, create a connection asset for it.
Planning Analytics (formerly known as "TM1") is an enterprise performance management database that stores data in in-memory multidimensional OLAP cubes.
IBM Planning Analytics, version 2.0.5 or later
Create a connection to Planning Analytics
To create the connection asset, you need these connection details:
- TM1 server API root URL
- Authentication type (Basic or CAM Credentials)
- Username and password
- SSL certificate (if required by the database server)
For authentication setup information, see Authenticating and managing sessions.
Choose the method for creating a connection based on where you are in the platform
- In a project
- Click Assets > New asset > Data access tools > Connection. See Adding a connection to a project.
- In a catalog
- Click Add to catalog > Connection. See Adding a connection asset to a catalog.
- In a deployment space
- Click Add to space > Connection. See Adding connections to a deployment space.
- In the Platform assets catalog
- Click New connection. See Adding platform connections.
Next step: Add data assets from the connection
Where you can use this connection
You can use Planning Analytics connections in the following workspaces and tools:
- Data Refinery (Watson Studio or IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Decision Optimization experiments (Watson Studio)
- Notebooks (Watson Studio). Click Read data on the Code snippets pane to get the connection credentials and load the data into a data structure. See Load data from data source connections.
- SPSS Modeler (Watson Studio)
Platform assets catalog
Other catalogs (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Watson Query service
- You can connect to this data source from Watson Query.
Planning Analytics setup
Enable TM1 REST APIs on the TM1 Server. See TMI REST API Installation and configuration.
Cube dimension order
Versions earlier than TM1 11.4
For best performance, do not combine string and numeric data in a single cube. However, if the cube does include both string and numeric data, the string elements must be in the last dimension when the cube is created. Reordering dimensions later is ignored.
Version TM1 11.4 or later
The default setting in Planning Analytics for cube creation is
current. This setting might cause errors or unexpected results when you use the Planning Analytics connection. Instead,
set the interaction property
use_creation_order value to
For Data Refinery, you can use this connection only as a source. You cannot use this connection as a target connection or as a target connected data asset.
Parent topic: Supported connections