Apache Hive connection
To access your data in Apache Hive, create a connection asset for it.
Apache Hive is a data warehouse software project that provides data query and analysis and is built on top of Apache Hadoop.
Apache Hive 1.0.x, 1.1.x, 1.2.x. 2.0.x, 2.1.x, 3.0.x, 3.1.x.
Create a connection to Apache Hive
To create the connection asset, you need the following connection details:
- Database name
- Hostname or IP address
- Port number
- HTTP path (Optional): The path of the endpoint such as the gateway, default, or hive if the server is configured for the HTTP transport mode.
- Username and password
- If required by the database server, the SSL certificate
For Private connectivity, to connect to a database that is not externalized to the internet (for example, behind a firewall), you must set up a secure connection.
Choose the method for creating a connection based on where you are in the platform
- In a project
- Click Assets > New asset > Data access tools > Connection. See Adding a connection to a project.
- In a catalog
- Click Add to catalog > Connection. See Adding a connection asset to a catalog.
- In a deployment space
- Click Add to space > Connection. See Adding connections to a deployment space.
- In the Platform assets catalog
- Click New connection. For more information, see Adding platform connections.
Next step: Add data assets from the connection
Where you can use this connection
You can use the Apache Hive connection in the following workspaces and tools:
- Data quality rules (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Data Refinery (Watson Studio or IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- DataStage (DataStage service). For more informartion, see Connecting to a data source in DataStage.
- Metadata enrichment (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Metadata import (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- SPSS Modeler(Watson Studio)
- Watson Machine Learning Accelerator (Watson Machine Learning Accelerator service)
Platform assets catalog
Other catalogs (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Watson Query service
- You can connect to this data source from Watson Query.
Apache Hive setup
You can use this connection only for source data. You cannot write to data or export data with this connection.
Running SQL statements
To ensure that your SQL statements run correctly, refer to the SQL Operations in the Apache Hive documentation for the correct syntax.
Parent topic: Supported connections