IBM Db2 on Cloud connection
To access your data in IBM Db2 on Cloud, create a connection asset for it.
Db2 on Cloud is an SQL database that is managed by IBM Cloud and is provisioned for you in the cloud.
Create a connection to Db2 on Cloud
To create the connection asset, you need the following connection details:
- Database name
- Hostname or IP address
- Port number
- Username and password
For Private connectivity, to connect to a database that is not externalized to the internet (for example, behind a firewall), you must set up a secure connection.
Choose the method for creating a connection based on where you are in the platform
- In a project
- Click Assets > New asset > Data access tools > Connection. See Adding a connection to a project.
- In a catalog
- Click Add to catalog > Connection. See Adding a connection asset to a catalog.
- In a deployment space
- Click Add to space > Connection. See Adding connections to a deployment space.
- In the Platform assets catalog
- Click New connection. For more information, see Adding platform connections.
Next step: Add data assets from the connection
Where you can use this connection
You can use Db2 on Cloud connections in the following workspaces and tools:
- Cognos Dashboards (Cognos Dashboard Embedded service)
- Data Replication (Data Replication service). You can replicate data to and from Db2 on Cloud by using Data Replication. For more information, see Replicating Db2 on Cloud data.
- Data Refinery (Watson Studio or IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- DataStage (DataStage service). For more information, see Connecting to a data source in DataStage.
- Decision Optimization (Watson Studio and Watson Machine Learning)
- Metadata enrichment (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Metadata import (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Notebooks (Watson Studio). Click Read data on the Code snippets pane to get the connection credentials and load the data into a data structure. For more information, see Load data from data source connections.
- SPSS Modeler (Watson Studio)
Platform assets catalog
Other catalogs (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Watson Query service
- You can connect to this data source from Watson Query.
Db2 on Cloud setup
Running SQL statements
To ensure that your SQL statements run correctly, refer to the Structured Query Language (SQL) topic in the Db2 on Cloud documentation for the correct syntax.
Parent topic: Supported connections