Publishing metadata enrichment results (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
When you're convinced that your data is of good quality and provided with the right business context, in other words ready to be consumed by the business users in your organization, you can publish the asset along with the enrichment results to a catalog of your choice.
- Required permissions
- To publish enriched data assets to a catalog, you must have the Admin or the Editor role in the project and in the target catalog.
You can publish the assets one by one, in batches, or all at once. Independent of the duplicate handling setting of the selected catalog, assets are combined if any of the assets that you select for publishing already exists in the catalog. Existing values and empty properties of the asset already in the catalog are replaced with the values that are provided by the asset that's published.
Data class assignments on the catalog asset and its columns are updated as follows:
In general, data class assignments provided with the enrichment results overwrite existing assignments. These exceptions apply:
- If a data class on a column in a catalog asset was assigned or removed manually and the data class in the enrichment results was automatically assigned (inferred), the column's data class remains unchanged.
- If the enrichment results do not provide a data class assignment because no data class could be inferred, a previously assigned data class is removed unless it was manually assigned. In this case, the assigned data class remains unchanged.
For term assignments, the behavior is as follows:
- If the enrichment was run without the Assign terms option, existing term assignments in the catalog remain unchanged.
- If the enrichment was run with the Assign terms option, new term assignments are added and existing term assignments in the catalog are always overwritten with the enrichment results even if they are empty.
In addition, the asset's data quality information is updated with the data quality information that is available in the project.
To publish enrichment results:
Open the metadata enrichment asset. Click its name or click View from the asset's overflow menu.
On the Assets page, select the assets and click Publish. You can filter for specific assets and publish the filtered set.
To publish assets one by one, select Publish from the overflow menu for the asset that you want to publish.
On the Publish to catalog page:
- Select the catalog to which you want to publish.
- Check the list of selected assets. If you want to remove assets from or add assets to your selection, click Cancel and start over.
- Click Publish. A publish job is created and run is started. You can check the status of this job run in the Publish details section of the About this metadata enrichment side panel. Alternatively, you can check the run status on the project's Jobs tab. A publish job shows up with the label Publish Metadata Enrichment Assets. However, you cannot run a publish job from the Jobs tab.
The assets are published to the selected catalog, along with the enrichment results, including business term and data class assignments and data quality metadata. If the respective connection does not yet exist in the catalog, the connection is also published. You can publish assets and results to as many catalogs as you want.
After an asset is published, a check mark is displayed in the asset's Publish status column.
You can also publish results with an API instead of the user interface. See Watson Data API: Publish to a catalog.
Parent topic: Managing metadata enrichment