Creating a project
A project is how you organize your resources to achieve a particular goal.
Your project resources can include data, collaborators, and analytic assets like notebooks and models.
Before you create a project, understand the requirements for storage, collaborator eligibility, and catalog integration.
- Storage requirement
- You must associate an IBM Cloud Object Storage instance with your project to store assets. Each project has a separate bucket to hold the project’s assets. If you are not an administrator for the IBM Cloud Object Storage instance, it must be configured to allow project creation.
- Collaborator eligibility requirements
- To keep your company data secure, you can restrict who is eligible to be a collaborator to people who are internal to your organization. Select the Restrict who can be a collaborator checkbox. You can add only members of your IBM Cloud account, or, if your company has SAML federation set up in IBM Cloud, employees of your company. This setting is permanent.
- Watson Knowledge Catalog integration requirements
- If you want to access a catalog in the project, the project has these requirements:
- The project and the catalog must be created by members of the same IBM Cloud account, or, if your company set up SAML federation on IBM Cloud, employees of the same company.
- If you want to add catalog assets to the project, you must select the Restrict who can be a collaborator checkbox during project creation. If you want to only publish assets to a catalog, you don’t need to restrict the project.
Create a project
To create a project:
- Click New project on the Watson Studio home page or your My Projects page.
- Choose whether to create an empty project or to create a project based on an exported project file or a sample project.
- If you chose to create a project from a file or a sample, upload a project file or select a sample project. See Importing a project.
- On the New project screen, add a name and optional description for the project.
- Select the Restrict who can be a collaborator checkbox to restrict collaborators to members of your organization or integrate with a catalog. The checkbox is selected by default if you are a member of a catalog. You can’t change this setting after you create the project.
- If prompted, choose or add any required services.
- Choose an existing object storage service instance or create a new one.
- Click Create. You can start adding resources if your project is empty, or begin working with the resources you imported.
The object storage bucket name for the project is based on the project name without spaces or non-alphanumberic characters plus a unique identifier.
Watch this video to see how to create both an empty project, imported project, and a project from a sample.