Setting up a project
A project is how you organize your resources to achieve a particular goal. Your project resources can include data, collaborators, and analytic assets like notebooks and models.
Before you create a project, understand the requirements for storage, services, security, and catalog integration.
- Storage requirement
- You must associate an IBM Cloud Object Storage instance with your project to store assets. Each project has a separate bucket to hold the project’s assets. If you are not an administrator for the IBM Cloud Object Storage instance, it must be configured to allow project creation.
- Services requirements
- Depending on the type of project you create, you might need to specify IBM Cloud services during project creation. For example, if you create a Visual Recognition project, you must specify a Visual Recognition service during project creation. You might also be prompted to add services as you add assets that require them. You can add other services after you create the project, on the Settings page.
- Collaborator security requirements
- To keep your data secure, you can restrict the project to collaborators who are internal to your organization. Select the Restrict who can be a collaborator check box. You can add only members of your IBM Cloud account, or, if your company has SAML federation set up in IBM Cloud, employees of your company. This setting is permanent.
- Watson Knowledge Catalog integration requirements
- If you want to access a catalog in the project, the project has these requirements:
- The project and the catalog must be created by members of the same IBM Cloud account, or, if your company set up SAML federation on IBM Cloud, employees of the same company.
- If you want to add catalog assets to the project, you must select the Restrict who can be a collaborator check box during project creation. If you want to only publish assets to a catalog, you don’t need to restrict the project.
Create a project
To create a project:
- Click New project on the Watson Studio home page or your My Projects page.
- If you have the Watson Studio app, you choose a project starter or to import a project that was previously exported from Watson Studio. If you have only the Watson Knowledge Catalog app, your project has data preparation tools.
- If prompted, select or provision the required services.
- On the New project screen, add a name and optional description for the project.
- Select the Restrict who can be a collaborator check box to restrict collaborators to members of your organization or integrate with a catalog. The check box is selected by default if you are a member of a catalog. You can’t change this setting after you create the project.
- If prompted, choose or add the services associated with the tool you selected.
- Choose an existing object storage service instance or create a new one.
- Click Create. You can start adding resources if your project is empty, or begin working with the resources you imported.
The object storage bucket name for the project is based on the project name without spaces or non-alphanumberic characters plus a unique identifier.
Watch this video to see how to create a standard project.