Adding connections to projects
You need to create a connection asset for a data source before you can load data to or from it. A connection asset contains the information necessary to create a connection to a data source. If you have a legacy project, you must create connections with a different method.
You create connections to these types of data sources:
- IBM Cloud services
- Other cloud services
- On-premises databases
See Connection types for a full list of data sources.
To create a new connection in a project:
- Click Add to project > CONNECTION.
- Choose a data source.
- Enter the connection information required for your data source. Typically, you need to provide information like the host, port number, user name, and password.
For on-premises databases, choose a Secure Gateway service or configure a new Secure Gateway service.
Enter credentials for your data source. Select Shared to enter credentials to make the data source and its credentials accessible to all collaborators in the project. Select Personal, if you want each collaborator to provide their own credentials to use the data source.
- If there’s a Discover data assets option for the data source, you can add all tables from the connection as data assets to a project. Select Discover data assets and choose a project. See Discover data assets from a connection.
- Click Create. The connection appears on the Assets page. You can edit the connection by clicking the connection name on the Assets page.
Watch this video to see how to create a connection and add connected data to a project.
Add data from this connection:
- Create a connected data asset
- Navigate to Data Refinery, and select the connection. Drill down to a schema, and table or view.
Configure a Secure Gateway service
The IBM Cloud Secure Gateway service provides a remote client to create a secure connection to on-premises databases. You can provision a Secure Gateway service in one service region and use it in Watson Studio instances that you provisioned in other regions.
To configure a secure gateway:
- Click New Secure Gateway and then Create Secure Gateway.
- Go to your IBM Cloud profile settings. On the Services page, find the Secure Gateway service and choose Manage from the MANAGE menu.
- On the Secure Gateway Dashboard, add a gateway.
- Click the gateway and add a client. You can download a client program or copy the provided Docker command.
- On your client computer, configure the client program or run the Docker command.
- Go back to the New connection page, click Reload, and then select the secure gateway that you just created.
For detailed instructions on creating a secure gateway, see Getting Started with the Secure Gateway.