Adding data to a project
After you create a project, you add data assets to it so that you can work with data. All the collaborators in the project are automatically authorized to access the data in the project.
You can add these types of data assets to projects:
- Local files
- Gallery data sets
- Database connections
- Data from a connection
- Folder assets from a file system
- Catalog assets
- Files from object storage
- Streaming data
Add local files
You can add a file as a data asset from your local system to your project. You must have the Editor or Admin role in the project. The maximum size for files that you can load with the Watson Studio UI is 5 GB. You can load larger files to a project with APIs.
To add data files to a project:
- From your project’s Assets page, click Add to project > Data or click the Find and add data icon ().You can also click the Find and add data icon from within a notebook or canvas.
- In the Load pane that opens, browse for the files or drag them onto the pane. You must stay on the page until the load is complete. You can cancel an ongoing load process if you want to stop loading a file.
The files are saved in the object storage that is associated with your project and are listed as data assets on the Assets page of your project.
When you click the data asset name, you can see this information about data assets from files:
- The asset name and description
- The tags for the asset
- The name of the person who created the asset
- The size of the data
- The date when the asset was added to the project
- The date when the asset was last modified
- A preview of the data, for CSV, Avro, Parquet, Microsoft Excel, PDF, text, and image files
- A profile of the data, for CSV, Avro, Parquet, Microsoft Word, PDF, text, and HTML files You can remove the data asset by choosing the Remove option from the action menu next to the asset name. Choose the Refine option to refine the data with Data Refinery.
Add Gallery data sets
You can add data sets from the Gallery to your project:
- In the Gallery, find the card for the data set that you want to add.
- Click the Add to Project icon from the action bar, select the project, and click Add.
Watch this short video to see how to load and analyze public data sets.
Add files from the project storage
The storage for the project contains the files you uploaded to the project, but it can also contain other files. For example, you can save a DataFrame in a notebook in the project storage. You can add those files as data assets to your project.
To add data assets from the project storage:
- Click Files on the Find and add data pane. You can filter by searching for asset names. Click the top entry in the list to select all assets.
- From the ACTIONS menu, choose Add as data asset.
From the Files pane, you can select files and then click the ACTIONS menu to do these actions:
- Add a file as a data asset to your project to share with others, for example, a DataFrame you created in a notebook and saved to the project storage. Files in the project storage that are not listed on the Assets page of your project have not been added as data assets to your project.
- Delete a file from the project storage. Deleting a file from the project storage does not remove the file metadata. Therefore you still see the file listed as a data asset on the Assets page of your project.
- Download a file from the project storage to your local system.