Managing master data with Master Data Management (Beta)
The Master Data Management (Beta) service on IBM Cloud Pak for Data as a Service enables you to consolidate data from the disparate sources that fuel your business to establish a single, trusted, 360-degree view of your customers.
The Master Data Management service includes two connected and complementary user experiences:
- Master data configuration for data engineers to prepare and configure master data. This experience includes:
- Configuring the master data system.
- Refining the generated data model.
- Uploading or connecting data sources.
- Mapping data into the model.
- Running Master Data Management service’s powerful matching capability to create master data entities.
- Configuring and tuning the matching algorithm to meet your organization’s requirements.
- Master data explorer for business analysts and data stewards to search, view, analyze, edit, and export master data entities and records.
Restriction: The Master Data Management Beta Lite plan allows you to create one service instance per account and process up to one million records. Beta Lite plan services are active for 60 days or until the beta period is over, whichever comes first. Lite plan services will be deleted after 30 days of inactivity.
- Required services
- Master Data Management
- IBM Watson Knowledge Catalog
- Data format
- CSV or TSV
- Data connected to a project or catalog
- Data size
- Up to 1,000,000 records (for beta release)
With Master Data Management, you can load and match data from sources across your enterprise to create trusted master data entities. After you match your data, the Master Data Management match results screen shows statistics and graphs to help you analyze your master data.
Accessing the service
Before you can get started with Master Data Management, you need a project that uses Cloud Object Storage.
There is more than one way to access the Master Data Management service:
From the home page’s navigation menu, select Data > Master data.
From the Service instances page:
- Log in to dataplatform.cloud.ibm.com.
- Under My services, click View all to open the service instances associated with your account.
- Click on your Master Data Management service instance to open the Master Data Management Launch page.
- Click Launch to open the master data home page.
For more information about using the Master Data Management service and related API, see the following topics: