Adding connections to projects
You need to create a connection asset for a data source before you can access or load data to or from it. A connection asset contains the information necessary to establish a connection to a data source.
You create connections to these types of data sources:
- Platform-level connections
- IBM Cloud services
- Other cloud services
- On-premises databases
See Connection types for the list of data sources.
To create a new connection in a project:
- Go to the project page. Click Assets > New asset > Data access tools > Connection.
- If you want to use a platform-level connection, click the From platform tab.
- Choose a data source.
- Enter the connection information that is required for the data source. Typically, you need to provide information like the hostname, port number, username, and password.
If your data source supports personal credentials, select Shared to enter credentials to make the data source and its credentials accessible to all collaborators in the project. Select Personal if you want each collaborator to provide their own credentials to use the data source. The credentials type for the connection, either Personal or Shared, is set by the account owner on the Account page. The default setting is Shared.
- For Private connectivity: To connect to a database that is not externalized to the internet (for example, behind a firewall), see Securing connections.
- Click Create. The connection appears on the Assets page. You can edit the connection by clicking the connection name on the Assets page.
- Add tables, files, or other types of data from the connection by creating a connected data asset.
Connections with personal credentials are marked with a key icon () on the Assets page and are locked. If you are authorized to access the connection, you can unlock it by entering your credentials the first time you select it. This is a one-time step that permanently unlocks the connection for you. After you unlock the connection, the key icon is no longer displayed. Connections with personal credentials are already unlocked if you created the connections yourself.
Watch this video to see how to create a connection and add connected data to a project.
This video provides a visual method as an alternative to following the written steps in this documentation.
Go to Data Refinery, and select the connection. Drill down to a schema, and table or view.
Parent topic: Adding data to a project