IBM Informix connection
To access your data in an IBM Informix database, create a connection asset for it.
IBM Informix is a database that contains relational, object-relational, or dimensional data. You can use the Informix connection to access data from an on-prem Informix database server or from IBM Informix on Cloud.
Supported Informix versions (on-prem)
- Informix 14.10 and later. This version does not support the Progress DataDirect JDBC driver, which is used by the Informix connection. The Informix connection supports Informix 14.10 features that are comparable to previous Informix versions, but not the new features. Issues related to DataDirect's JDBC driver are not supported.
- Informix 12.10 and later
- Informix 11.0 and later
- Informix 10.0 and later
- Informix 9.2 and later
Create a connection to Informix
To create the connection asset, you need these connection details:
- Name of the database server
- Name of the database
- Hostname or IP address of the database
- Port number (Default is
- Username and password
On-prem Informix database servers: For Private connectivity, to connect to a database that is not externalized to the internet (for example, behind a firewall), you must set up a secure connection.
Choose the method for creating a connection based on where you are in the platform
- In a project
- Click Assets > New asset > Data access tools > Connection. See Adding a connection to a project.
- In a catalog
- Click Add to catalog > Connection. See Adding a connection asset to a catalog.
- In a deployment space
- Click Add to space > Connection. See Adding connections to a deployment space.
- In the Platform assets catalog
- Click New connection. See Adding platform connections.
Next step: Add data assets from the connection
Where you can use this connection
You can use Informix connections in the following workspaces and tools:
- DataStage (DataStage service). See Connecting to a data source in DataStage.
- Metadata enrichment (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Metadata import (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- SPSS Modeler (Watson Studio)
Platform assets catalog
Other catalogs (IBM Knowledge Catalog)
- Watson Query service
- You can connect to this data source from Watson Query.
To set up Informix, see these topics:
- Informix on-prem: Creating a database server after installation
- Informix on Cloud: Getting started with Informix on Cloud
Running SQL statements
To ensure that your SQL statements run correctly, refer to the Guide to SQL: Syntax in the product documentation for the correct syntax.
Parent topic: Supported connections