Hiding data values in asset columns from others
This scenario shows how to redact data values in an asset column. Data in the selected column is replaced with Xs to remove information that is, for example, identifying or otherwise sensitive. With redacted data, neither the format of the data nor referential integrity is retained. See Masking data.
- You have an asset that contains sensitive customer information that you want to hide.
- Your customers’ phone numbers should be hidden.
- Create a policy to hide your customers’ phone numbers from an asset.
Identify the data class group provided by IBM that comprises phone numbers: Contact Details
Create a rule and define the condition:
Select Data Class to choose
Contact Detailsfrom the data class group list.
How to define these conditions
Complete the rule builder:
Then select Anonymize data in columns containing:
Then select Redact to replace phone numbers with Xs. To finish the rule, click Create.
- Add this rule to the policy you created.
- Click Publish to make this policy available for your environment.
The asset column that contains phone numbers are now presented with a string of exactly ten letters of Xs whenever others open this asset.