Signing up for Cloud Pak for Data as a Service
You can sign up for a personal version of Cloud Pak for Data as a Service at no initial cost, or sign up through an email invitation to join your organization's account.
- Signing up for a personal Cloud Pak for Data as a Service account
- Signing up for your organization's Cloud Pak for Data as a Service account
- Switching to your organization's account
- Logging in using IBM App ID (beta)
Signing up for a personal Cloud Pak for Data as a Service account
An IBMid for an IBM Cloud account is required to sign up for Cloud Pak for Data as a Service. To sign up for an account, you enter your email address, personal information, and credit card information. You are charged only if you upgrade to a billable plan and then consume billable services. Lite plans do not incur charges.
The free version of Cloud Pak for Data as a Service contains a Lite plan for the core services. The core services are IBM Watson Studio, Watson Machine Learning, IBM Knowledge Catalog, DataStage, Cognos Dashboard Embedded, Watson OpenScale, and an instance of Cloud Object Storage.
To sign up for Cloud Pak for Data as a Service:
- Go to Try Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
- Select the IBM Cloud service region closest to where you work, or the region that your administrator told you to choose.
- Enter your IBM Cloud account username and password. If you don't have an IBM Cloud account, create one.
- On the Select account screen, select the account and resource group where you want to use Cloud Pak for Data as a Service. If you belong to an account with existing services, you can select it instead of your account. The Select account screen does not display if you have only one account and resource group.
- Click Continue. The account activation process begins.
Stay with your default browser during the activation process. If you land on the IBM Cloud Dashboard, return to the Try Cloud Pak for Data as a Service and follow the link to log in with an existing account.
After the activation process completes, your Cloud Pak for Data as a Service home page appears.
Watch this video to see how to sign up for Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
This video provides a visual method to learn the concepts and tasks in this documentation.
Bookmark your home page so that you can go directly to the Cloud Pak for Data as a Service site for your region to log in with your personal credentials:
If you're in your own account, you have the necessary permissions for complete access to add services, projects, and catalogs. You can access another account by switching to that account.
To set up an account for your organization, so that other users can share services and resources, see Set up an account for your organization.
Signing up for your organization's Cloud Pak for Data as a Service account
Before you can join Cloud Pak for Data as a Service, you must be a member of your organization's IBM Cloud account. Account administrators can invite users to join their organization's Cloud account. Users receive an email invitation and complete a sign-up process.
The administrator provides the following information:
- The IBM Cloud account name for Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
- The resource group name for the Cloud Pak for Data as a Service account.
- The IBM Cloud service region.
You receive an email from IBM Cloud with the title "You are invited to join an account in IBM Cloud." with the name of the account.
Click the Join now link. The expiry is 30 days.
You are asked to log in with your IBMid. IBMids are assigned to IBM Cloud account members. If you don't have an IBMid, one is created for you when you join.
Continue to the next screen and confirm that your information is correct, then accept the invite.
Login in from the Welcome screen. You are now logged in to the IBM Cloud account.
Click Catalog and search for Cloud Pak for Data. Choose Get started as a service to open Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
Choose the correct account in the dropdown menu by your avatar to begin working.
You can see the name of the account you are currently working in on the menu bar.
Switching to your organization's account
You can switch to your organization's existing IBM Cloud account (or any other account for which you are a member) to share Cloud Pak for Data as a Service services and resources that are provisioned for that account.
If you are not already an account member, the account administrator must invite you to the IBM Cloud account. You receive an email invitation to join the account. After you accept the invitation, you can access the account and Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
To switch to your organization's account:
- Log in to Cloud Pak for Data as a Service with your personal credentials.
- Click the Account Switcher in the home page header.
- Select your organization's account name from the account list.
- Optional: For wider browsers, select the account from the dropdown menu.
To switch regions:
- Click the Region Switcher in the home page header.
- Select the region that contains your services and projects.
- Optional: For wider browsers, select the region from the dropdown menu.
Logging in to Cloud Pak for Data as a Service through IBM Cloud App ID (beta)
IBM Cloud App ID integrates user authentication on IBM Cloud with user registries that are hosted on other identity providers. If App ID is configured for your IBM Cloud account, your administrator provides an alias to log in to Cloud Pak for Data as a Service. With App ID, you do not need to sign in to IBM Cloud. Instead, you log in to Cloud Pak for Data as a Service with the App ID alias.
You cannot switch accounts when logging in through App ID.
To log in with App ID:
- Click https://dataplatform.cloud.ibm.com to open Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
- Choose to log in with App ID (Beta).
- Enter the alias that was provided to you by your administrator. You are redirected to your company's login page.
- Enter your company credentials on your company's login page. You are redirected back to Cloud Pak for Data as a Service.
Select the Remember App ID checkbox to save the App ID alias for future logins.
Go back to Get started and choose the right path for you.
Parent topic: Getting started