Overview: Natural Language Classifier in Watson Studio
Using the IBM Watson Natural Language Classifier service, you can train a model to classify text according to classes you define. IBM Watson Studio provides a collaborative environment in the cloud where you can work with your text and your Natural Language Classifier models.
Building a natural language classifier
You can use this graphical tool to automate building a natural language classifer. Start with a structured text file and sort it into classes that you define.
- Required service
- Natural Language Classifier service
- Data format
- Textual: CSV files with sample text and class names
- Data size
- Small to medium data sets
- How you can build models
- Provide as few as 3 text samples per class
- Collaborate to classify text samples
- Test the model with sample text
- Add or remove test data to retrain the model
- Classify text in eight languages other than English
- Use Watson Natural Language Classifier APIs in applications
For more information on choosing the right tool for your data and use case, see Choosing a tool.
Natural Language Classifier service features
IBM Watson Natural Language Classifier is a service on IBM Cloud. You can use the service in your Watson Studio projects or outside of Watson Studio.
- Classify natural language text - Train classifiers with your text examples
- Multiple languages supported - English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Spanish
- API - Use your trained classifier in applications that you develop
- Multi-category classification - List results for multiple classes for given text input
- Multi-phrase classification - Classify up to 30 separate text inputs in a single API request
You can find details about supported plans and features on the Natural Language Classifier service details page in the IBM Cloud catalog.
Watson Studio tools
In Watson Studio, you can work with the Natural Language Classifier service in two ways:
- Natural Language Classifier model builder
- Using the API in notebooks
Natural Language Classifier model builder
The Natural Language Classifier model builder in Watson Studio makes it quick and easy to train and test classifiers.
Natural Language Classifier model builder in Watson Studio
In this image, sample customer messages have been uploaded to the Natural Language Classifier model builder in Watson Studio in order to train a classifier to recognize three classes:
- “question” : The message is asking a question
- “problem” : The message is describing a problem or failure
- “hi” : The message is either just social or doesn’t contain any specific technical details
Notebooks in Watson Studio provide a collaborative environment to wrangle text data for training and testing, and to use the Natural Language Classifier API.
Using the Natural Language Classifier API in a notebook in Watson Studio
In this image, three test messages are classified by an existing, trained classifier, using the Natural Language Classifier API. Only the last part of the long output is visible in this image; but you can see the results for the third text input, which is classified as a “question”.