File format CSV for importing business terms
You can modify glossary assets outside of the catalog and import them from a file that is in CSV (comma-separated value) format. This file can be generated from another software application such as a spreadsheet program. Or, you can import a CSV file that you originally exported from IBM InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog. You can then edit the CSV export file to contain the glossary assets that you want to import.
For a start, you can download and view the sample CSV file that is provided for import on the Import new terms page.
Consider the following restrictions when importing business terms using a CSV file:
- The content-type in the http request must be
text/csv. By default, UTF-8 character encoding is used for CSV files. If the file does not use UTF-8, enter the encoding type as part of the content type specification, for example:
- Files must be comma-delimited. Other delimiters are ignored.
- The last row of data must have an end-of-line character (carriage return). If it doesn't, the row is dropped.
- Two consecutive commas in a row indicate an empty column.
- If a row ends with a comma, an extra column is created.
- Files can’t be larger than 1 MB with some rows ending with null values and some columns containing values that are enclosed in double quotation marks.
- The CSV file must comply with the Common Format and MIME Type for Comma-Separated Values (CSV) Files.
- For more information on how to import business terms refer to the IBM Watson API docs (see Integrate IBM Watson APIs in your apps) and search for Business Glossary Imports in the Reference section.
- The header row must consist of the following columns. Column names are case-sensitive:
|Name||This column name is required. This column contains the names of the business terms.|
|Display Name||This column name is optional. If not defined, the display value of
|Description||Describes the business term to be imported.|
|Business Definition||Provides the business definition for the business term.|
|Owner||Contains the name or email address of the owner of the business term.
Note: The owner must have an IBM Cloud account email address.
|State||Identifies the status of the business term (If the state is specified as ACTIVE, the business term is shown on the Published page of the Business Glossary).|
|Tags||Contains a comma-delimited list of tags in the term. Any tags that contain commas need to have those commas escaped by doubling the comma.|
This is a code example for a CSV file:
Name,Display Name,Description,Business Definition,Owner,State,Tags Order Reason Code,Order Reason Code,Used with distribution channel to determine internal order.,Used with distribution channel to determine internal order.,,ACTIVE,SupplyChain Term 1,Term Number One,The first term to import.,imported term,,DRAFT,tag1 Term 2,Term Number Two,The second term to import.,imported term,Fred User<Fred.User@mycompany.com>,DRAFT,"tag1,tag2"