Discover data assets from a connection
You can discover assets from a connection, so that all user tables and views accessible from the connection are added as data assets to the project that you select. From the project, you can evaluate each data asset and publish the ones you want to the catalog.
Depending on your plan, you might have a limited number of connections that you can discover assets from. However, you can refresh the discovered assets from a connection an unlimited number of times.
You can discover assets from connections to these data sources:
- Apache Hive
- IBM Cloud Object Storage (IaaS)
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
- Compose for MySQL
- Db2 on Cloud
- Db2 Warehouse on Cloud
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Postgres on Compose
To discover data assets and add them to a catalog:
- When you add or edit a connection to a catalog or to a project, select the Discover data assets checkbox and choose an existing target project or create a new project.
- Go to the target project and evaluate each data asset.
- Select and publish the assets you want to add to the catalog.
When you add discovered assets to a catalog, each of the assets is automatically assigned these tags:
- Other derived information about the asset, if possible. For example, the schema name associated with the original database table or the directory for the file in object storage.
You can refresh the discovery of assets from a connection to add any new assets that weren't there during the earlier discovery.
To refresh the discovery of a connection:
- Edit the connection. In a catalog, click the connection asset name and then click the edit link. In a project, click the connection asset name.
- Click the Refresh button in the Connection Discovery area. You can't change the target project.
- Click Update. The previously undiscovered assets are added to the project.
Watch this short video to learn how to auto-discover data assets from a data connection.