Add a file to a catalog
You must have the Editor or Admin role in a catalog to add a data asset from a file. The maximum size for files that you can load into a catalog is 5 GB. To add a larger file to a catalog, upload the file to IBM Cloud Object Storage and then add it as a connected data asset.
You can add any type of file, but only some types of files are profiled.
When you add a local file to a catalog, this is what happens:
- A data asset that contains information about the file is created in the catalog.
- The file is copied to the IBM Cloud Object Storage bucket that is associated with the catalog.
- The asset includes a connection to IBM Cloud Object Storage. When you add the asset to a project, the connection is added as well.
To add a local file to a catalog:
- Click Add to catalog > Local file.
- Browse for the file or drag it onto the drop area.
- Specify the asset properties.
- Click Add. The asset is added to the catalog and the file starts loading into object storage. Do not leave the catalog before the file finishes loading.
After the data asset appears on the Browse page, click its name to view and update it. If data policies are enforced for the catalog, the asset preview is unavailable until the asset is evaluated by data policies.